Sunday, August 30, 2009

2009: first TNT training

Saturday was the first training with my Osceola Team in Training team. I'm the mentor for the Osceola team, even though I'm not an Osceola resident. The Osceola team only has 10 people on it, whereas the Orlando (Orange/Seminole) team has dozens and dozens of people, probably 50 or so.

We met up in Buenaventura Lakes, which was only about 15 miles from my house, which was actually closer than where the Orlando team trained (Altamonte Springs). Coach talked to us and taught us some stretches, then had us run two laps around the park. Each lap was half a mile. I picked up the rear of the pack with two girls of similar stature to me. I had spoken and or emailed with both of them, and anticipated them having some confidence issues with running, as I had last year and continue to have when I forget to not compare myself to others. I think they were trying to prove themselves, even though I talked to them about running ratios and the importance of not comparing themselves to, say, the girl in the coordinated running outfit who's been running her entire life. We ended up running the entire first lap without walking! That's half a mile. I was pretty proud of myself, too!

For the second lap, I kept us on a walk two run one ratio. I could tell they were tired. I was feeling the heat. Good lord it's hot out there in summer! I cannot run in that heat. As much as I hate early mornings, I hope our training sessions start earlier soon.

After the second lap, Coach had us all stop, hydrate, and he talked to us about form.

For the third and fourth laps, Coach ran with us, keeping pace with each of us individually to talk to us about form and to see how we were doing. Truth is, he may have had more to say to other people than he did to me. That's not to say I don't need the help, but I'm a repeat marathoner, and I suspect he spent more time talking with the first timers.

Anyway, for the third and forth laps, I think I did a 1:1 ratio. I was ahead of the two girls I ran with earlier, but we ended up pretty much keeping the same pace.

Overall, it ended up being a very good pace for me and a very consistent run.


I'm excited to not get up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to run. Instead, I'll be joining the Orlando team for their Monday night training. They literally train 2 blocks from my place of employment, whereas the Osceola team trains a good hour away from my place of employment. Seems like a no brainer to me!

No comments: