Wednesday, May 13, 2009

in which I lose the argument and wonder who I can call to come retrieve me

Some runs are good, some are miserable. And then some are pain, with no way to sugar coat it. My goal this morning was five miles. Easy peasy, right? Wrong. I had not even entered my second minute (and I always walk the first two minutes) when my left leg started hollering at me. This conversation took place over the course of a mile:

Left Leg: ow.
Brain: suck it up.
LL: Ow.
B: Running through the pain. Shut up.
LL: OW.
B: I'm not listening.
LL: OW!
B: All right. Bastard.

Only by that time my left leg was so insistent that we stop running, it was also pissy about walking, and I started to think maybe I should call my MIL to come pick me up. Alas, it would have been a bigger pain to try to give her directions to come find me than it would have been to walk home 1.2 miles. One mile is nothing.

My left leg said: OW OW OW OW OW!

Sigh.

Needless to say, this completely ruined my overall pace, as I found myself unable to run, let alone attempt to do a fast walk.

I'm really disappointed. I truly wanted to get in five miles this morning. It was kind of cool, in as much as it can be cool on a day that will reach 90 degrees, because it rained all night long, and that made for a slightly cooler morning. Stupid leg.

I've not had this particular kind of pain before, so I'm not sure what to expect with it. I've been running through my right ankle pain for months and months and months. But this left leg pain, well, I don't know what to make of it. I'll try again on Friday, I guess, to get out there.

I'm way behind on my goal of 40 miles in 4 weeks, and was hoping to make up ground this morning. Alas, I am only at 11.8 miles, and today is day 8 of that goal. So I guess I'm about on target, but I wanted to be ahead of target. Dammit.

2 comments:

arcanai said...

you could have called me. sometimes you need to listen to your body.

arcanai said...

i was going to leave a totally unrelated comment on your real blog but apparently i have to be logged in to comment now....

anyhow, one or two more days and you should get to see your little girl asleep! might as well let her get her nap on now that she's so close. and i love it when she's playing the little paddle ball thingie. she looks totally braindead!