Tuesday, June 10, 2008

so there's this race coming up

I want to run in the Tower of Terror 13K on October 25th. I am terribly out of shape, as we can all see anytime I post a picture. The most I have ever run is a 5K. That was in February. 2007. So, yeah, I have my work cut out for me. I figure I need to run almost every day if I plan to be ready to not place last in the 13K on October 25th. That's five months away. I can do it.

Tonight's run:

Distance: 2.86 miles
Time: 37'12"
Average: 12'58" per mile

I have completed 11 runs for a total of 22.48 miles. My average pace is 12'43" per mile.

It's a start. Go me! I'm totally going to be up for a 13K in five months! Please cheer me on, as I suffer from low self-esteem and motivation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do this! Go YOU!

If you give me a schedule of how much you're doing each day, I'll try to do it too and maybe I can help motivate or at least make you feel much better when I fail and you've succeeded!

Mrs. Who said...

Yay! You're doing great considering you've been out of it for awhile. You will make it.

Lotte said...

I have a very bad habit of procrastinating so the key for me was to make a training schedule detailing how much I needed to run each day and which days I would take off in order to be up to the necessary mileage for my race. That way I could look at that schedule and have that extra motivation of seeing that if I didn't run x miles today, I was not going to make it to my goal. Just do a search for training guides and adjust them for your race mileage.

It's also kind of fun to map out your runs in advance. I'll paste a link to the website I generally use below - I don't have the computer smarts to hyperlink it in comments :-( You can also find routes that others have created. You probably don't have much issue with elevation changes in Florida, but that's good info for where I live.

Anyhoo that's a few of the tricks I just to keep myself motivated. Have fun! You can definitely do it!
http://www.usatf.org/routes/

wRitErsbLock said...

thanks ladies. i appreciate your support more than you know.

bou -- I'll likely take you up on that.

Lotte -- great link! I'll investigate it more at home.

Anonymous said...

crap! does this mean i need to start running to so that we can keep each other accountable?