Saturday, October 3, 2009

6 miles and an alligator

Today's run was located in the same place our Monday night runs are. It's a path along a rather large lake. The trail is only two miles long, end to end, but there's a half mile extension away from the lake that we added on. So, we parked at one end, began the run, when we got to the extension thing, we turned onto it, half mile out and back, then back onto the lake trail. Turn around, come back, added the extension again, and finish. Six miles.



I slow ran the first mile, as has become the norm, before settling into a run 2 walk 1 ratio. Coach ran with me, and said something to the effect of, "I want to run with you and have you not use that thing (referring to my iPod, which I use to time my ratio)." He said he thinks the iPod is holding me back. Running is a mental sport, and I have trained my brain to think that my body is only capable of running for 2 minutes before it needs to walk. And that's what I do. He said he wants me to run more. He believes in me. I countered with telling him that it's all his fault he can take the credit for the fact that I will now run a full mile before walking. He laughed, and told me he's certain I can do more.

He's probably right.

And so, for my coach, this morning I tried to maintain a run 3 walk 1 ratio. And I did it for about two miles before I started feeling really tired. About that time, it was time for me to get onto the half mile extension. This path has very helpful markers every 1/8 of a mile. And so, for my coach and to challenge myself, I decided to run 1/8, and then walk 1/8 for that mile long extension (up and back equals a mile). But I didn't slow run it, I forced myself to run it at a faster pace than I normally would for the 1/8. I pushed myself, and flat out exhausted myself.

When my coach met back up with me, about .3 away from the finish, he wanted me to run to the end. I tried. I honestly tried. But I just couldn't make it, and ended up walking the final .15 or so. But I told him about the ways I had tried to push myself for the duration of my run, when he was not running with me. Because I did push myself.

I am tired now. Tired like I was after 10 mile runs last year. I need a nap. And it's because I pushed myself harder than I normally do.

He asked me to start emailing him my times for my runs during the week. Um... someone has been totally slacking, so hopefully that will be the kick in the butt I need to get my training in gear. Shame on me for not being good at training this season.

I just noticed my title, so I suppose I should comment about the alligator I saw at the turn around point. It was approximately three feet long, a little gator. Still, I get so excited seeing wild life!

It should be noted, last week's six miles took me 1:31. This week's six miles took me 1:27 (because I'm counting when the 6 miles ended, not when I turned off my iPod). So I improved my time. Hooray for that!

I'd also like to mention the gorgeous sunrise this morning. It's such a pretty area to run.

1 comment:

arcanai said...

wow! great job knocking four minutes off!